19 Feb Rooftop Waterproof Membrane Refurbishment
ROOFTOP MEMBRANE RENEWAL – Installation of new UV-resistant Acrylic membrane
Waterstop Solutions was recently contracted to perform remedial repairs to the existing rooftop waterproofing membrane of a costal multilevel apartment property on Bribie Island. There were several weak points in the existing membrane. Cracks, poor adhesion points and reduced thickness in the existing membrane were allowing water to seep through to the substrate. In some areas, the membrane was peeling off or was missing.
THE PRIME CAUSES OF BREACHES IN THE WATERPROOF MEMBRANE:
- poor surface preparation
- failure to prime the respective parts and surfaces before the application of the waterproofing membrane
- minimal or incorrect falls
- poor subsurface drainage
- saturation of topping screeds
Concrete is known to be inherently weak in tensile strength. Cracks and voids can also form due to thermal expansion, contraction, concrete shrinkage and building movement and water will seep through these voids.
Roofs are constantly exposed to direct sunlight and rain, making them vulnerable to tremendous environmental stresses that can affect their physical properties and performance. Selecting the correct waterproofing system is imperative to keeping the roof water-tight so to ensure the structural integrity and to protect the homes and assets of the residents.
For a flat roof to function properly and not leak, the surface water needs to be discharged quickly without ponding or stagnation. Water ponding on a flat roof is one of the main causes of waterproofing membrane deterioration because most membranes such as acrylic membranes are not designed to withstand pooling water. That being said, long-term contact with moisture is bad for any roofing material. Dust, plant matter, pollution and other items from the environment mix in with the pooling water, turning it into a muddy consistency that attacks the membrane. When the water dries out, the crust cracks and puts the membrane under stress. Over time, this often causes the membrane to blister, crack and peel – allowing water to leak through to the substrate.
Proper design of falls is an essential consideration in the overall drainage of a flat roof. Falls create flow paths to direct the drainage of rainwater away from the roof to suitable discharge points. To be effective, it is essential to clear surface water as rapidly as possible from the flat roof to avoid ponding or stagnation of water on the roof itself.
The key to successful remedial waterproofing is thorough surface preparation and vigilant detailing of all penetrations and junctions, married up with high-quality materials.
DESCRIPTION OF THE REMEDIAL WATERPROOFING WORKS CARRIED OUT ON THIS BRIBIE ISLAND ROOFTOP:
- We opened and cleaned out weep holes and exposed flashing to improve the drainage of rainwater by directing the water to hit the flashing and escape.
- Decay and voids had formed in the joints between the bricks, allowing the entrance of water. We repointed the brick wall by renewing the pointing (the external parts of mortar joints) bringing back the physical appearance and integrity of the brickwork.
- When repointing was completed and dried, our proprietary Hi-Tech non-visible penetrative sealant was applied to impregnate the brick wall, creating a long-lasting water barrier against water penetrating the brickwork.
- The top of the brick poles, anchor points, and some cracks were joint sealed with mastic.
- Acrylic UV resistant membrane was applied on top of brick poles providing an added protection against the elements.
- On the surface-prepared rooftop, we installed a heavy-duty, UV resistant modified acrylic membrane in multiple layers on to a moisture barrier primer system.
- The primer system helps prevent bubbling or blistering, which often occurs if not included in remedial waterproofing applications.
- We applied a mastic joint sealant to floor/wall joints and wall/roof joints before installing a moisture barrier primer system, followed by a UV-resistant Acrylic membrane to the compressed fibre cement cladded walls (FC sheet cladding).
If you have any issues with water ingress, rooftop leaks, leaking balcony, cracking concrete slabs, structural cracks, concrete deterioration, deteriorated joints, moisture, seepage, efflorescence, rising damp and/or high-flow active leaks in concrete structures, we would be happy to assist you. You are welcome to contact us with any questions that you may have.
Brisbane office: (07) 3205 1899
Email: [email protected]
Sydney office: (02) 9346 8308
Email: [email protected]
Are you interested in finding out more about the various remedial building services we are providing?
Please click on the image below to download Waterstop Solutions Capability Statement
Waterstop Solutions Capability Statement is now available to download as PDF. (The image is clickable and opens up a link to our Capability Statement).
Good maintenance begins with a proactive approach to maintain, keep, preserve and protect a building.
Remember that seepage/water ingress into areas such as balconies, basements, concrete roofs, car parks and retaining walls, should not be ignored – call a remedial waterproofing professional today for an assessment to provide you with the best solution for your situation.
At Waterstop Solutions, we carry out a wide range of remedial works to concrete structures post-construction stage in Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Sydney and outlying areas in Queensland and New South Wales.
Equipped with major civil works experience, we can quickly determine the best approach to rectify all seepage and concrete deterioration issues.
It takes licenced remedial waterproofer and leak sealing experts like us at Waterstop Solutions to ensure that the pathways for water to ingress are properly sealed off. A depth of technical knowledge and experience, along with a proud reputation for integrity and reliability, has made Waterstop Solutions the go-to company for many Defect Managers working for major construction companies across Queensland and New South Wales.
We at Waterstop Solutions have the technical and practical expertise to diagnose the source of the leak and will provide you with our recommended solution to achieving an effective, high-quality, long-lasting repair to stop the water ingress with minimal disruption
We believe in and are committed to always delivering high-quality solutions by utilising the right products and techniques for each specific project combined with our industry-leading know-how on tap. We have a large talent pool of specialist leak sealing and concrete repair technicians with Certificate III in construction waterproofing in Queensland and New South Wales that are extensively trained in our systems and project execution methods.
The leadership positions on every Waterstop Solutions project are operated by highly qualified, certified and experienced industry professionals. Our in-house skills and expertise gained from more than 60 years of industry experience provide a full range of high-quality remedial waterproofing and concrete repair works to commercial buildings, civil infrastructures, industrial sites and residential properties. From waterproofing diagnostics, preventative and remediation solutions – All of our waterproofing solutions are quality guaranteed.